Thursday, April 25, 2013

Blog 3 Post 2: searching for sources

Susan B. Anthony: The Library databases had a few sources I could use as secondary sources for this topic. Most of articles I would have to get from interlibrary loans. Many of the sources and articles had a focus on the Women's Suffrage Movement, so I would probably have to rephrase my question, or just take a whole new route with Susan B. Anthony as a topic. I was able to find a primary source on Susan B. Anthony (http://ecssba.rutgers.edu/docs/sbatrial.html). This source is some of her accounts when she was on trial at the circuit courts. I believe I would have enough information to do this topic for my paper, I would just have to take a different route than I originally planned.

KKK: There is a plethora of information on the ku klux klan. Not only are there many articles and books available about the KKK, but there are also newspaper articles that I was able to find through the library database. There is so much information that this would be an incredibly easy topic to do my paper on. The one problem (if you can call it a problem) that I came across was the difficulty of finding a primary source for the KKK. I eventually found one (http://depts.washington.edu/labpics/repository/v/KKK/documents/). There are many different documents (mainly from the 1920s) that have been provided on this site. I think there is definitely more than enough information to be able to write a paper on this topic as well as give a presentation on it too. 

Franklin D. Roosevelt: Many of the sources I was able to find for Frankling D. Roosevelt involving the New Deal also had a great deal of democracy talk in it as well. There were about 70 articles that I could find that incorporated all of my criteria for FDR. So finding secondary sources definitely would not be an issue.There is a lot of information through the database, and I'm sure there is even more information in books in the library if this is the topic that I choose to do my paper on. I was able to find a few different primary sources on FDR...one of his public addresses is one of them (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=75174), although I'm not sure if this would be my final choice if I choose to do FDR for my topic. This would be a fairly easy topic to find information on, but it also is the least interesting to me of all my topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment